Monday, August 30, 2010

EAGLE-GARDEN CITY: DIGNIFIED CLUB WITH GREAT LEADERS!

Well, okay, scratch the "diginified" moniker.   I asked this club to clown a bit for the camera, and this is what I got...A GREAT PICTURE!  Yes, the dignified Rotarians are in the front row (from l. to r. in first row: Scott Bower, Melissa Schweigert, Gretchen Brown (president-elect), Chris Iverson (brand new member), Jim Hogge, assistant governor.  In second row from l. to r.:  Darrell Manning, Dick Norquist, Joe Russell (with 4 fingers above Melissa's head), Dr. Robin Dodson (two-time president and class clown!), Jack Spencer, Mike Seiler, Troy Knutson (president), Surbir Chadha and Gene de Laveaga (perhaps Robin Dodson's twin brother and another class clown and also a past president.)  Josh Sears had to leave early because of work, or he would have been pictured, too.

TROY KNUTSON, CURRENT PRESIDENT, IS A DYNAMIC LEADER AND COMMITTED ROTARIAN

Troy is flanked on his right by Jim Hogge, assistant governor and on his left by Gene de Laveaga
Several weeks ago, I featured Troy Knutson, president, on the district website.  He wrote a testimonial   explaining his commitment to Rotary and his focus on the District 5400 slogan this year of Promoting Ethics, Pursuing Peace and Providing for Children.  I repeat his testimony below.

I am a Rotarian because the members of the Eagle Garden City Club were simply a heck of a lot of fun and showed me what “service above self” looks like in action. Rotary has truly changed my way of thinking and how I see the world. I have new friends and mentors that I have met through Rotary and my life is absolutely better because of them. I have great appreciation for our districts direction to “promote ethics, pursue peace and provide for children.” These are not just words to me but are truly a way I want to share my life with others. I am so grateful to be part of an organization that teams together and actually changes the world. The ways in which Rotary has made our community better and how we have helped other communities around the world makes me proud to be a Rotarian. Rotary has enabled me to help more people than I had ever imagined. I am excited to see what we will do next, and how the world will change because we are Rotarians.

THIS CLUB DOES GREAT WORK 
On the day I visited on 8.25.10, Troy proudly handed out the club's business cards with the District slogan emblazoned on it.  I also learned that the website is up, and what a great site.  Google it for yourself.

The District is especially proud that they had adopted Eagle Academy, "... a school designed for youth who have had difficulty in a traditional setting. Each quarter the club provides the "Persistence Award" to students who are nominated by their instructors."  (Quotes from their website)

The website proclaims that the club is actively engaged in the following projects:
  • Dictionaries for 3rd Graders in 10 elementary schools in our neighborhood;
  • Annual Halloween party hosted by the Boys and Girls Club of Garden City;
  • Christmas party with gifts from Santa for deserving kids under 10 from Pierce Park Elementary School;
  • This year, we started a Handyman for Seniors program in Star, volunteering to do light work for elderly citizens as needed. Seniors call Gene de Laveaga, the current president, or their Senior Center and explain what is needed. The club will telephone the person to make a convenient appointment to scope and/or perform the work requested.
  • In addition, we have been partnering with other area clubs in an international water project in Ecuador for the past couple of years. 
  • The club is actively seeking new members to expand our ability to lend a hand to those in need. If a Thursday noon meeting is convenient for you, please visit us for an fun hour of fellowship---there's plenty of free parking!
  • The club also hosts a bike rodeo for young people in honor of Tom Bettger, a Rotarian and bike rider, who was killed in an unfortunate card-bike accident.
OKAY, NOW FOR THE DIGNIFIED PICTURE

As you can see, everyone in this picture is dignified and proper.  I think it's because I jumped into the frame with my bow tie and all that represents.  Or perhaps it's because these Rotarians didn't want to be besmirched by my presence or have to answer questions from the FBI about me when the agency calls them. 

Anyway, this is a great club, well led by youthful leaders and more seasoned ones as well.

 Thanks Eagle-Garden City for a great visit.

- Terry Gilbert, DG 2010-11

No comments:

Post a Comment