Sunday, August 1, 2010

THE CLUB OF MY ROTARY BIRTH: BLUE LAKES - TWIN FALLS

Front row, l to r, Don Acheson, Shari Stroud, Andy Barry, Peggy Watland, Theresa Gabica, Kyle Poppleton.  2nd row, l to r, Casey Clements, Marla Barnes, Joel Newton, Steve Quale, Dennis Tilley, Marianne Barker, Chris Tiu.  Back row, l to r, Tim Murphy, Chris Bell, Gene Day, Phil Uhlig.  (Taken on July 26, 2010)

THESE ARE PROUD ROTARIANS!!
Note that many of the club members are holding up their bumper or window stickers proclaiming, "Proud to be a Rotarian."   I offered the stickers for $20 to fulfill their commitment to PolioPlus and to advertise Rotary throughout the community.  When I come to your club, I will make the same offer.

\
I ALMOST DID NOT JOIN IN 1987!  WHY?  READ ON.

I was asked to join the Blue Lakes – Twin Falls Rotary Club in 1987.


Being a community-minded individual, I was grateful for the invitation. However, I nearly rejected the offer to join. Why? In 1987, women were still not invited.

As an educator, I had worked with talented and dedicated women throughout my career. Why would I join an organization that excluded females? I was aware, however, that a court case brought by a California Rotary Club had made its way to the U.S. Supreme Court challenging the exclusion of women. I had faith that women would soon be allowed into Rotary. I joined.

I was right. A few months later, the Court said that Rotary (and other civic organizations) could not exclude women.

I approached the executive committee on which I found myself serving and alerted them that I was going to nominate the first female member of the Blue Lakes – Twin Falls Club. The committee asked me to allow them to nominate this woman instead. I agreed.  The first woman was inducted shortly thereafter.

Note the picture above:  There are five females pictured, including Shari Stroud who serves on the District 5400 Scholarship Committee, Assistant Governor Marianne Barker, former assistant governor Theresa Gabica and Marla Barnes who serves on the Youth Exchange Committee.

Females through D5400 have contributed profoundly to Rotary.

FAITHFUL FACES


Since 1987 the club has brought in new faces, lots of them! But, members faithful to the early days remain, including District 5400 Training Coordinator & Past President, Casey Clements, President Joel Newton, Past President Andy Barry and Past District Governor Gene Day.

FAITHFUL TO ROTARY


Marianne Barker received recognition for being achieving her eight Paul Harris Fellow pin and is here being congratulated by Joel Newton, president.  Eight!  Thank you, Marianne.

Another pleasure of my morning was presenting Shari Stroud her first Paul Harris pin.  Thanks, Shari.  I wish you many years as a Rotarian!
 
Submitted with affection for the club of my birth -- Terry Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment