Sunday, August 8, 2010

THE AMERICAN FALLS KISS


You never know what will happen when you take a picture of Rotarians.  Like the day I visited the Rotary Club of American Falls on August 4 and asked the Rotarians to gather outside so I could take a picture.

Suddenly, two Rotarians started kissing!  "Are they married?" I think I shouted (maybe not, come to think of it).  Yes, they are.  That's Karen and Dan Hammond, Rotarians who obviously love their work.

The others looked on, obviously enjoying the spectacle.  That's Wade Povey on the left, Elaine Neibaur with her newborn in front, Brent Schvaneveldt, on the right and R.J. Hawkes, club president, overseeing everything.

WHY ARE YOU A ROTARIAN?
Steve Love, assistant governor, and I met with the leadership before my presentation to the club.  "Why are you a Rotarian?" I asked each one.

Donna Thornton, a new Rotarian, mentioned service and friendliness;  Terrel Sorenson mentioned fellowship and club projects;  Joey Richardson said he joined initially because his boss requested he join a civic club but now he is motivated by his respect for Rotarians, the junior miss project and matching funds;  Wade Povey discussed PolioPlus;  and R.J. Hawkes, the president, mentioned Rotary's support for high ethics, a value that motivates me, too.

Steve Love, assistant governor, reflected his motivation.  "I joined in 1986.  I have learned that the organization of Rotary International can reach farther than my arms would ever reach."

THE ROTARY CLUB OF AMERICAN FALLS FIVE YEARS FROM NOW?
R.J. Hawkes has a vision of the 16 member club growing to 32 members just five years from now.  That's a great goal.  And, based on the picture of the Hammond's kissing, it's pretty clear than this is a loving club that should attract lots of other good people of American Falls


Front row:  Elaine Neibaur, Brent Schvaneveldt, Greg Miller, Ron Miller, Joey Richardson, Steve Love.
Back row:  Wade Povey, Karen Hammon, Don Hammon, R.J. Hawkes, Terrel Sorenson.

-Submitted by Terry Gilbert who enjoyed the kiss

No comments:

Post a Comment